Digital investment in Southeast Asia jumped 17.8% last year and is expected to grow 11.3% in 2022 to reach $4.10 billion, eMarketer Reports.
As digital advertising grows in popularity in the region, Kantar has unveiled the Southeast Asia winners for its Digital Creation Award 2022which were selected from the analysis of approximately 300 digital ads last year.
Winning campaigns offer lessons not only for global marketers, but also for those looking to improve the creative quality of digital content.
Three big winners were announced:
- Virtue’s YouTube spot, “JW, Street Love” for Johnnie Walker in Thailand, which Kantar describes as “a great example of how brands can connect across borders and cultures.”
- The Instagram spot of BBH India & Publicis Groupe Indonesia, “KV Movement”, for Kraft Heinz in Indonesia, which, according to Kantar, “tightly but openly conveys its new variant message by simply sliding the new variant bottles into view to the beat of upbeat music”.
- Fuse “#FlexYOKCK” TikTok video for Unilever’s Tide in the Philippines, which is “different in execution and an engaging template from an unlikely and inclusive cast,” says Kantar.
The keys to creative digital advertising
Pablo Gomez, head of creative and media solutions at Kantar Singapore, noted 5 key digital creative themes among the winners:
- Unique content designed for use on all platforms.
- Provide product news through fun and innovative demos.
- Breaking category stereotypes with empathy.
- Communicate brand DNA while recognizing and embracing local nuances.
- Make ad length an advantage with smart, short messages.
“A big advantage of our winners is that brands can grab attention by entertaining and making people feel with and for the brand,” Gomez said, noting, “Anything you need to do well do is measure your creative’s ability to grab attention and land the brand message.
Kantar has also released the findings of its 2021 Media Response Surveynotably that more than 70% of global marketers intend to spend more on digital media this year, with social content, influencer marketing and digital video all set to increase.
The study found that creative quality is the second most important ingredient for generating profitable advertising, but it is only ranked fourth by marketers.
“Great creative is more than just a connection. It also transcends ROI,” Gomez said, adding, “These winning ads all deliver very strong and consistent creativity across all touchpoints.
Two recent studies of Arnold around the world and Talkwalker and Hootsuite also found that creative quality was a key factor in connecting with American audiences.
“Brands that put authenticity and brave creativity at the heart of their plans generate the most brand love,” said Maggie Lower, Chief Marketing Officer of Hootsuite.